In addition to an exceptional quality of life, a location on the cusp of the D.C. Metropolitan area, and access to a global community, Fauquier County also offers the following incentives to new and existing businesses. To discuss Business Incentives, contact Miles Friedman at (540) 422-8270, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Incentive Zones
- Processing Fee Waivers
- Tax Rebates
- Accelerated Business Review Process
- Lowest Tax Rates in Northern Virginia
- Technology & Tourism Grants
- Fauquier County Economic Development Authority (EDA)
- Virginia Inland Port (just 26 miles west of Fauquier)
- Virginia Jobs Investment Program (VJIP)
- Virginia Small Business Financing Authority (VSBFA)
- Governor’s Opportunity Fund
- Tax Exemptions and Credits
- State Incentive Grants
Special Incentive Zones
Eight zones provide incentives that encourage growth in these targeted industries, including:
- Technology Zones
- Defense Zones
- Tourism Zones
Processing Fee Waivers
- Site Plan fee waiver
- Building Permit fee waiver
- Business License
- Business Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment
- Machinery & Tools
Technology & Tourism Grants
These small grants, in the amount of up to $2,000, are open to licensed businesses located within the Technology and Tourism Zones located throughout the County. These grants are typically offered once per year and are advertised on this website and in the community.
Fauquier County Economic Development Authority (EDA)
The EDA has the authority to issue tax-exempt bonds to businesses and non-profits at its discretion.
These bonds allow businesses and organizations to obtain funding they might otherwise not be able to obtain.
Virginia Jobs Investment Program (VJIP)
This program encourages the expansion of existing Virginia businesses and start-up of new business operations by addressing the top concerns of existing businesses and economic development prospects and finding and developing a skilled workforce. The Program helps offset recruiting and training costs incurred by companies that are eithe creating new jobs or implementing technological upgrades. In addition to offering direct funding, VJIP also provides assistance with workforce-related challenges and organizational development workshops.
- New Jobs Program
- Small Business New Jobs Program
Virginia Small Business Financing Authority (VSBFA)
This Program helps Virginia’s existing & prospective businesses through an extensive portfolio of financing programs. While grants are not offered, this program helps Virginia’s financial institutions offer business loans that they might not be able to offer without assistance from this program. The portfolio of financing programs assist:
- Economic Development (fixed asset purchases such as lands, buildings & equipment)
- Small Businesses
- Existing Businesses (that have been in operation for at least 2 years)
- Minority-Owned Businesses
- Tourism Related Businesses
- Licensed Child Care Centers & Family-Home Providers
- Virginia’s Environmental (purchase of environmentally-friendly equipment or structures)
- Small Manufacturers & 501(c)(3) Non-profits
Governor’s Opportunity Fund
The Governor’s Opportunity Fund (GOF) is a discretionary incentive available to the Governor to secure a business location or expansion project for Virginia. Grants are awarded to localities on a local matching basis with the expectation that the grant will result in a favorable location decision for the Commonwealth.
Tax Exemptions and Credits
- Sales and Use ExemptionsVirginia offers some of the broadest sales and use tax exemptions in the U.S.
- Property Tax ExemptionsVirginia does not tax intangible property, manufacturers’ inventory, and manufacturers’ furniture, fixtures and corporate aircraft.
- Corporate Income Tax CreditsVirginia offers a variety of tax credits that are available for use against a company’s corporate tax liability.
State Incentive Grants
- The Virginia Economic Development Incentive Grant (VEDIG)The Governor’s Opportunity Fund (GOF) is a discretionary incentive available to the Governor to secure a business location or expansion project for Virginia. Grants are awarded to localities ona local matching basis with the expectation that the grant will result in a favorable location decision for the Commonwealth.
- Clean Energy Manufacturing Incentive GrantThe Clean Energy Manufacturing Incentive Grant (CEMIG) is a discretionary performance incentive, designed to encourage clean energy manufacturers to grow in Virginia.
- Virginia Investment Partnership Act Grant (VIP)
- Major Eligible Employer Grant (MEE)The Virginia Investment Partnership and the Major Eligible Employer Grant (MEE) are discretionary performance incentives designed to encourage continued capital investment by Virginia companies, resulting in added capacity, modernization, increased productivity, or the creation, development and utilization of advanced technology.